Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Grief.

Grief. why does such a thing exist? unfortunately i dont have the answer but i would like to bring up this point. how do we know that we can tell if someone is actually grieving or not? are we even in place to judge to should we begin to have the previous question pop into our minds. i went to a funeral since one of the students who attended the elementary school division of my christian high school. he passed away in a terrible car accident and his funeral/viewing was being held the in the sanctuary and the high school was allowed to sit in. i went since my whole class was going and was very solemn through the whole ceremony but wasnt very interested. after the ceremony i was on my out when a complete stranger proceeded to pull me aside and ask if i had any respect. he believed that because i didnt show any emotion i was not being respectful to deceased's family. being 16 and not afraid to stand up for myself, i retorted that i was being respectful by not crying or making any type of big scene, since i did not know the deceased or his family, i felt that if i did those things that i would be mocking them and therefore cause more hurt and pain than there had to be. i bring this up because i was reading "A Grief Observed". this book was written by C.S. Lewis soon after the death of his wife. just reading the first two chapters i already connected with him. you literally feel the grief that he is going through come right through the pages and hit you. so how do we know when someone is actually grieving and when they're not?

3 comments:

  1. Wow. Just knowing that people will come up to you and say those things is actually rude. People cope through situations differently. I remember my grandfather died and I wasn't really emotional until I saw his body being put into the ground. So, I'm glad you stood up for yourself. Also, I believe that you can tell when a person is grieving,or maybe it's just me. If you don't know if someone is hurt or not all you have to do is say "how is your day going" and the way they respond can tell you if they are fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you dont always know when someone is grieving... because everyday people hide their emeotions. and some maybe hurting so deeply that they cant shead a tear. but i loved ur responce that you made to that person. great answer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you end with a question!
    And I feel as though a lot of people DO grieve by remaining solemn and silent. I suppose that fussy person isn't happy until they see a generic, showy grief.

    ReplyDelete