Monday, September 27, 2010

Is Your Character Welcome?

Before I get to writing the main part of this blog, I want to take a little trip down memory lane. Remember back in the day in English class during high school and we all had to write a narrative story? How long did it take you come up with that character to be at the center of the story? I remember taking pretty much the whole time I had to write the paper just trying to create a character. I don't know about you but I would just think of myself being this ultimate hero in the most ridiculous situation possible. That's one way to do it, but its not the only way to think of a character. In my reading for my Into to Lit. class, it talked about how create a character. Most of us do what I mentioned previously, but what caught my attention was that we should discuss our characters with others. When I read that I immediately thought of how I treated my character creation. I would pretend to have like a maximum security prison, underground laboratory in which no one could gain access to but me. Looking back on that, it seems kind of childish and I guess you could say that I was afraid of someone plagiarizing me and taking my brilliant character. But discussing your character will allow your character to grow even more, before you can put him/her into the story.

2 comments:

  1. I love the title to this. It reminds me of that USA network catch phrase. Sorry. I'm running on very little sleep. But yes, I love what you had to say about your HS experience with Lit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great insight Chris! This should help me when creating my character for the short story in class!

    ReplyDelete