Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Proclaim It Loud and Proud

Tuesday before class we were told to go read the Book of Joel. Now I don't know about you but Joel is one of those books where you just pass along when your flipping through the minor prophets. I thought that the book was average and I really didn't think much of it. However when I got to class, Professor Corrigan told us that for 20 minutes we were to read sections of Joel. Out loud. At first I thought he was kidding, but after he shooed us out I made a beeline for the concrete dock overlooking Lake Bonny. (I think it's Lake Bonny but whatever). After getting to the dock and mustering up some courage I began to speak under my breath feeling ridiculous. But after awhile I began to gather more courage and spoke louder. then I just started proclaiming loud and proud, hand, motions and all. After I finished my favorite sections, I wondered what the book would sound like if I spoke in a Russian accent, so I began speaking in said accent and replaced the word Zion with Mother Russia every time it appeared. I had a complete blast. But there in lies my point. I said earlier that I thought nothing of the Book of Joel when I read it. That opinion changed almost immediately after I began to speak it out loud. Sometimes when we feel that a certain passage of scripture doesn't feel powerful when we read it we feel that it doesn't apply to our lives. My suggestion to you the reader is that you speak it out loud and see how you feel after. As I read the Book of Joel out loud I began to feel the same tang of pain when it called the people of Israel to repent and turn back to the Lord. I also felt great triumph when I read the passages of when the Lord would come and the nations at the Valley of Decision. So next time you feel that a certain passage of scripture doesn't come alive to you, read it aloud and see how you feel afterwords.

6 comments:

  1. What an awesome sight that must have been (probably would have made for a fatantic photo for a CD cover, hand in the air in all!). No doubt our heavenly father was truely proud of you for the boldness and conviction you dispalyed. Keep it going, keep real!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Chris, it takes courage to stand and proclaim the word of God aloud and not be concerned with what others would think, say or comment. When I lived in New York and took the trian in to Manhattan, there were people who did the same thing you did by the lake. They would stand on the platform in the train stations in the mornings during rush hour, with a sign proclaiming the end of time and shouting out loud to repent, as people walk and rushed passed them. I always admired those people, not only were they bold enough to stand during the busiest times of the day to proclaim God's message; but also their audacity to be soldiers for God and not afraid to stand in the mist of people walking through the shawdow of the valley of death, as sometimes New York's subway system seemed to be.
    Nice blogging, enjoyed the incite you received from doing your assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too think it made us really feel the pain and also victory and triumph as we read it out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i totally agree! At first I was a little curious about why professor Corrigan was sending us out, but when a person reads out loud there tends to be so much more meaning behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked how you described what you got out of the exercise. That's a good way of looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is the proof..the word of God is living active sharper than any double edged sword... Joel is one of my favorites...great job!
    Loveexcellently ... Jennifer

    ReplyDelete